Wednesday, April 15, 2009

18 months

Peyton turned 18 months on April 12. I took him to the doctor today for his 18 month check-up. He is currently 32 inches tall, which is the 50th percentile. He's been in the 50th percentile pretty much his whole life, so it looks like he's going to be of average height. Peyton weighed in at a whopping 22 lbs 1 oz. That's the 8th percentile, which is actually an improvement because he's been in the 5th percentile over most of his life. The doctor is not worried though, because she just thinks that he has a high metabolism, which he clearly gets from his daddy and not me. Anyone who knows Peyton knows that the kid loves to eat!

Overall, Peyton is doing very well. He is healthy, and that's really all I care about. We can even begin to give him his inhaled steroids only once a day, instead of twice a day like we are doing now. Hopefully he will stay symptom free with the once a day treatments. And I'm still crossing my fingers that maybe one day he'll outgrow this asthma!

The doctor said that at this age, Peyton should know 3 to 5 body parts. Well, Peyton knows his hair, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, cheeks, chin, hands, arms, belly, feet, butt, tongue and knees. That's 14 if you stopped counting. The doctor was very impressed. I also told her how many animals (and their sounds) Peyton knows and she couldn't believe that either. She told me that the next things he should be working on are his colors and shapes. Then I told her that actually he already can identify circles, hearts, and stars (and sometimes squares). He also has begun to name red, blue, and yellow things consistently.

When she asked me how many words he says and if he can form word combinations (about 50 and yes), she told me that his speech was that of a 20-22 month old. His intelligence, based on the body parts, animals, colors, and shapes, is that of a 22-24 month old. Go Peyton!

No comments: